We sincerely apologize for any irregularities you may experience while your baggage is being transported, such as your baggage being delayed/damaged/lost. Rest assured that we will do our utmost to resolve your issue appropriately.
Should you experience any baggage transport irregularities, please report them immediately to an Air China baggage service counter or a baggage service counter responsible for Air China ground handling. A member of staff will help you fill out a “Record of Baggage Transport Irregularities.” You will need to provide the following items when making your report:
1. Valid identity document used to board the flight
2. Baggage claim tag(s) for the baggage in question
If necessary, our staff may need you to provide:
1. The boarding pass for the flight
2. Passenger copy of the excess baggage ticket (or duplicate copy)
3. Passenger copy of the flight ticket (or duplicate copy) or e-ticket itinerary
Once you have made your report, please retain the “Record of Baggage Transport Irregularities” given to you by our staff.
If your baggage did not arrive with you on the same plane, we will keep you updated about progress being made in the search for your baggage. You can also contact us for updates using the contact information found on your “Record of Baggage Transport Irregularities”, or you can use our a hrefCheck Lost and Delayed Baggage tservice to check for updates on the search for your baggage. Most baggage that does not arrive on the same plane is usually retrieved and we will contact you to discuss delivery of your baggage once it has been found. If your baggage has not been found within 72 hours of making a report, we will contact you to deal with the matter in accordance with the procedures for lost baggage.
If your baggage has been damaged, you will be contacted by a member of staff once you have completed your report to discuss the next steps based on the losses incurred to your checked baggage.
Air China may be held liable or partially liable in the following circumstances:
1. Your checked baggage is delayed, destroyed, lost or damaged at any time while on board the aircraft or while under the control of Air China.
2. Your unchecked baggage is destroyed, lost or damaged while embarking/disembarking or while on board the aircraft due to faults on the part of Air China or faults on the part of Air China employees or its agents.
3. During interline carriage, Air China shall only be liable for baggage losses on flight segments actually operated by Air China. However, if Air China is the first or last carrier during interline carriage, you may file a complaint with Air China regardless of the flight segment in which your baggage loss occurred.
Air China shall not be held liable or fully liable in any of the following circumstances:
1. In cases of natural disaster or other factors beyond control.
2. Air China’s compliance with, or your failure to comply with, national laws, government regulations, orders and requirements.
3. Losses that result from your baggage having inherent defects, quality issues or flaws.
4. Air China shall not be liable to compensate for baggage delays if it can prove that it took all reasonable steps to prevent delay to or loss of baggage, or if it was not possible for such steps to be taken.
5. Should Air China be able to prove that negligence on your part caused or contributed to the loss of baggage, Air China shall be exempt from liability or its liability shall be reduced based on the degree to which these errors caused or contributed to said losses.
6. Air China’s liabilities shall not exceed the certified value of losses. Air China shall not be held liable for any indirect or consequential losses.
7. Air China shall only be liable to compensate in an ordinary way for losses incurred to items included in your checked baggage contrary to Air China recommendations.
8. Air China shall not be liable for loss of baggage caused by items you included in your baggage. If an item you included in your baggage causes damage to other people’s items or Air China property, you will be liable to compensate Air China for its losses and pay all associated costs.
9. Air China shall not be held liable should you fail to raise any objections relating to the condition of your baggage when it is delivered to you or you fail to provide proof that your losses were caused by Air China.
10. If an “Exempt From Liability Baggage Tag” signed by you is affixed to a piece of checked baggage, Air China shall not be liable to compensate for any items marked as exempt on the baggage tag that are carried in said baggage.
11. Air China shall not be liable for compensation in instances where the deadline for reporting baggage losses has passed.
If your checked baggage has been damaged, you should contact Air China to file a claim for compensation within 7 days of the date you received your checked baggage.
If your checked baggage was delayed, you should contact Air China to file a claim for compensation within 21 days of the date your checked baggage was delivered to you.
For flights that fall within the scope of the “Warsaw Convention,” compensation is limited to 17 SDR* per kilogram of baggage. If actual baggage losses fall below this standard, compensation will be paid based on the actual losses incurred. For unchecked baggage, compensation is limited to 332 SDR* per passenger.
For flights that fall within the scope of the “Montreal Convention,” compensation will be paid based on the actual losses incurred if you are able to provide reasonable proof of loss, The total compensation limit for checked and unchecked baggage per passenger is 1288SDR*.
Baggage compensation shall be handled in accordance with Air China regulations relating to the carriage of baggage. Please call 95583-1-6 for further details.
*SDR refers to Special Drawing Rights set by the International Monetary Fund (IMF). SDR values can be checked at www.imf.org.
Compensation for checked baggage that is lost or damaged in whole or in part is limited to RMB 100 per kilogram. If the value of the baggage is less than RMB 100 per kilogram, compensation will be paid based on its actual value. Compensation for unchecked baggage is limited to RMB 3,000 per passenger.
For flights to/from Hong Kong, China, Macau, China and Taiwan, China, please refer to the rules in place for international flights.
The time limit for taking action with respect to our liability to pay compensation is 2 years from the date that the aircraft actually arrived at its destination or 2 years from the date that the aircraft should have arrived at its destination. After this time, the right to take action with respect to loss of baggage will be forfeited.